Accessible Attorneys Offering Personalized Legal Services

Accessible Attorneys Offering Personalized Legal Services

Frequently Asked Questions About Education Law Topics

The term “education law” encompasses a great many areas of the law that affect all parties in the educational system: students, parents, teachers, school administrators and other connected individuals and organizations. Local, state and federal laws, as well as school rules, may apply when a controversy arises.

At Griffin Newell, LLC, in Denver, we represent clients in a range of education law matters, including special education issues. We take a personalized, hands-on approach to help each client understand their rights and options and get their kids the proper educational services they need.

Please peruse the answers to some frequently asked questions below. If you are facing any kind of challenge with the educational system in Colorado, our lawyers can help you.

What is an individualized education program?

Your child with special needs may require – and be entitled to – an individualized education program (IEP). This document spells out an agreement by which the school will provide a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to a student. The IEP must comply with the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and, in Colorado, the Exceptional Children’s Education Act (ECEA). Consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable in this area to ensure that your child is receiving all of the benefits that they are entitled to.

Do students have rights in school disciplinary matters?

School discipline can have a significant impact on a child’s future. There are many laws that may be applicable to a particular school discipline matter. In general, students are entitled to a hearing before they are expelled from a public school district in Colorado. Other important legal protections may apply if the student has a disability. Legal representation in disciplinary matters can be very valuable for protecting a student’s rights.

When parents are divorced and share custody, what factors determine which public school the child can attend?

This is a perfect example of a multifaceted question that Griffin Newell, LLC, is well-equipped to address. As an educational law firm, we realize that answers sometimes come through custody and parental decision-making arrangements, and other factors like residency requirements and special needs that a student may have. Let us help you explore the path to the right answers for your child.

What is Title IX and what does it have to do with my education problem?

The federal law known as Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational settings when the school (including colleges and universities) receives federal financial assistance. If you or your child was discriminated against on the basis of sex or gender, let us help you explore options for making things right.

How can I protect my child when there are allegations of bullying – perhaps cyberbullying?

Awareness of laws pertaining to bullying is a huge step forward in finding relief or a fair outcome, whether your child has been targeted or accused of bullying. Learn how the law can protect your child and the steps you can take immediately. Bring your concerns to an attorney experienced in these vital areas.

How can parents ensure that a special needs child gets the services he or she is entitled to from public schools?

Knowing a student’s rights is essential. Communicating clearly with the school is also important. Staying up to date is a parent’s privilege and responsibility. In general, parents have the right to get copies of their child’s school records and request additional services, if necessary. If you think your child isn’t getting the services they need, you owe it to yourself and your child to discuss your options with a caring, knowledgeable education law attorney.

What legal paths may help prevent, reduce or overcome a school suspension or expulsion?

Prevention is, in fact, the word. If you have reason to believe your son or daughter is at risk of suspension or expulsion, a frank conversation with an education law attorney can help you understand practical and legal remedies – and take action.

What specific actions can we take if we believe our child’s school has disciplined him or her inappropriately?

Let’s talk about it! The answer to this question will depend on many factors, including previous disciplinary history, eyewitness accounts of the discipline in question and behaviors that triggered the discipline. Doing nothing is not your style when you believe your child has been wronged. Let’s explore your options together.

What If My Question Is Not Listed Here?

Griffin Newell, LLC, is a powerful source of help for clients with questions and controversies related to education. We genuinely look forward to hearing from you. Call 720-727-9363 or email us to schedule a consultation with a lawyer.